Warframe has announced the date for the latest expansion. This is called “The New War” and will be released for free on December 15th. We tell you why long-time fans in particular react so emotionally to it.
Developer Digital Extremes has announced “The New War”, the latest expansion for the popular MMO shooter Warframe. The developers speak of the largest and most ambitious expansion they have developed for Warframe so far. Much focus is on the story and its cinematic narrative. But a new Warframe called Caliban has also been announced.
When is the expansion coming? “The New War” will be released on Wednesday, December 15, 2021 on Steam, Epic Games, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S | X and Nintendo Switch. Like all Warframe expansions, it is free.
The story of the expansion makes fans emotional
What is expansion about? In addition to the war from the title, the story of “The New War” also deals a lot with the relationship between the player and Lotus – the mother character of the space ninjas that you play in Warframe. The trailer also publicly confirms the character’s true identity for the first time in Warframe’s almost 9-year history. That makes for a very emotional encounter with Lotus at the end of the trailer.
How is the community reacting? The fans react very emotionally to these hints of the story. In the Warframe subreddit, the most popular post about the trailer has the title “Try Not To Cry CGI Trailer Edition”. The comments hit the same emotional line: Hunter5173 writes: “That really hit a nerve, 100%. It will be fun and also emotional “; AUserNameyUsername says: “I get goose bumps. I love it so much. “; Lexahex admits: “I cried, twice.”
New Warframe & Old Enemies playable in expansion
Is there a new Warframe? With “The New War” there is also a new Warframe armor that you can play with. It’s called Caliban and it’s the 48th Warframe in the game. Caliban is a hybrid of a Warframe and the Sentient species. According to the official website, these are the capabilities of the Warframe:
- Razor Gyre: Become a spinning vortex of death. Hold fire to speed up the Maelstrom and increase damage, then aim at an enemy to charge towards them. When you encounter enemies affected by Sentient Wrath, you create a devastating explosion.
- Sentient Wrath: Hit the ground and send out a wave of destruction. Enemies not killed by the initial blast wave are lifted helplessly into the air and continue to take damage for a short time.
- Lethal Progeny: Use Caliban’s Sentient aspect and add up to three Conculysts to his side. Shields are repaired outside of combat.
- Fusion strike: Bundles three streams of raw energy into a single point, causing a massive reactive explosion. The explosion impact removes armor from any enemies it touches.
- Adaptive Armor (Passive): Allies within range receive increased resistance to the types of damage they are taking.
What else is new? In “The New War” you can also play characters from among the opponents. These characters can be controlled in the quest:
- Kahl-175, a grineer trooper
- The Corpus Tech Veso
- Tenshin, a Dax soldier
Digital Extremes promises that these 3 characters will all have their own skills, which should ensure varied gameplay.
We will not find out whether the expansion will keep its promises until December 15th at the earliest. In any case, the fans seem to be enthusiastic about what is shown – despite tears in their eyes.